Monday, June 6, 2011

A few noteworthy observations....

Last night I spent dinner with several "expat" faculty members at FC College from a variety of disciplines, including philosophy, sociology, immunology and biochemistry. The dinner was in celebration of Sweden's National Day (i.e., the Fourth of July in Sweden) as one of the faculty members is a proud Swede. The meal was delicious and the conversation really interesting. Most of the faculty came to FC College to contribute in a meaninful way to students and the college itself. There are significant challenges in teaching at an institution like this, including that many students have major challenges in their lives (including money, family pressure, family obligations, jobs, etc.). But, the experience has been educational and enriching for all of those here....

My first meeting today was at 0830 with the CFO of FC College. I walked across campus to meet him and by the time I arrived (after a 10 minute walk), even my ears were sweating. It is supposed to reach 50 degrees Celcius this week, which in American terms is 122 degrees. Even with air conditioning in my home, the weather really "takes it out" of you. Trying to stay cool is a challenge. A friend told me to wear plenty of sunblock. My response was that I did not need to wear any because I am never in the sun - people here simply do not go outside during the daytime and when then do, they are fully clothed and have hats or cloth on their heads (as do I).

A few cultural "norms" have been a challenge for me. For example, it is considered impolite to extend a hand to shake with a female. It is also impolite to look a female in the eyes, which makes direct conversations interesting. One must wait for a female to extend her hand in greeting, at which point it is fine to shake hands. This only happens about 10% of the time (and normally only with those Pakistani women who have traveled or studied in the United States).

I met with students here yesterday and they are wonderful - open and smart. Many would like the opportunity to study in the United States or Europe, so on Thursday and Friday I have been invited by the US Educational Foundation Pakistan (USEFP) to meet with student groups and chat about the differences in educational institutions and regions in our country. I am excited to meet with them and hear their questions and perceptions.

There is one tradition here that I love and which my Aunty Joan would endorse fully - tea drinking. The tea here is outstanding and the drink it liberally. Each moring at about 10am and in the afternoon about 2 or 3pm they stop working for 20 minutes and enjoy a cup of tea. It is a great way to stop, breath, and enjoy a few moments with colleagues....

No comments:

Post a Comment