Saturday, June 11, 2011

Security - A Way of Life









In Pakistan, intense security measures are a way of life, even though we as Americans would consider them to be highly intrusive and a huge burden to our lives. Entering campus requires constant security measures, including mirrors placed under the cars to check for bombs (even when the car is a university vehicle and the driver is a 5-year "known" employee). It is simply standard fare. When I arrived, it was alarming; now, it seems normal.

Today, I went to the Pearl Continental Hotel off campus. It is the nicest hotel in Lahore, and I just needed some time off campus to sit and read for a while. The U.S. Consulate approved the hotel as "secure" so it is on the "possibly-safe" list. To get to the lobby, my driver had to go through an initial security gate and was questioned why he was entering. They wrote down his drivers license number and name, and cameras took our photos. He was required to pop his car hood open so they could look at the engine, and mirrors were placed under the car. Then, about 100 feet ahead, we were stopped again at a second check point. We then went through a gate raised for us (manually by an armed guard) at a third check point. To get to the lobby, we had to drive through a mini obstacle course (so vehicles are unable pick up any speed as they approach the hotel) and we arrived at a fourth check point. It was at that check point that I was required to exit the vehicle and walk the rest of the way - about 100 feet to the lobby entrance. At the lobby entrance, I went through a metal detector and had my bag checked and scanned. Then at the point of entering the main hotel area, I went through a second metal detector and another scan of my bag (the kind at airports). Finally, I was in the hotel. This all took about 20 minutes.

I rambled about for a bit, did some people watching, and did a little shopping (great art stores where small paintings are on silk, not canvas or paper). I wanted to see the pool, so I wandered in that direction, only to be required to pass through yet another metal detector manned by an armed guard. Oh, I forgot to mention that the guards at the hotel's entrance were armed too - but not with standard 9mm sidearms; rather, they are armed with machine guns.

I stayed at the hotel for a couple of hours, had a great lunch (and wonderful peach juice) and did some people watching. I was clearly the only "westerner" in the hotel, so I was also the subject of some people watching, too.

The next time you pull into a hotel lobby in the USA - for dinner, to check in, or just to run in and use the restroom, think about how simple it is: simply pull up to within 20 feet of the front door, jump out, run in -- and you're done. Nothing like that standard situation exists in Pakistan, which requires building in an extra 30-45 minutes for every trip - whether to the bank, grocery store, clothing store, or just to run out and grab a bite to eat.

I've included a few photos of the hotel and the security scanners....

No comments:

Post a Comment