Monday, June 6, 2011

The Food and Economics

This is a photo of one of the meals prepared for me by my personal cook (Sirrah), who I hired to help me for the month since I am normally "challenged" when it comes to cooking and even more so when it comes to preparing meals in a foreign land. She is amazing. These potato cakes were some of the best I have ever eaten and she prepares them to not only taste great, but to look amazing too. My friend (and renowned Atlanta-based "foodie Sarah Pearse would love my cook and would find the food in Pakistan to be first rate. Come visit Sarah - you would love it!

Now, a bit about economic differences between Pakistan and the United States. Sirrah is the wife of the Rector's driver (James - who is amazing) and helps with ExPats who are here on temporary assignments. Sirrah comes each day and cleans the house, washes and irons all of my clothing, prepares my lunch and dinner, and organizes everything. Quite simply, she is fantastic - and she does all this in some of the most beautiful dresses (Shalwar Qameez, which are long, loose fitting tunics and an amalgamation of the dresses worn by the ancient Persians). But, the economics are quite different. FC College negotiated the rate that I would pay for Sirrah's services for the month and when I asked what the charge would be, I was told 10,000 PKR for everything - which amounts to $117 for the month, or $3.92 per day (roughly $1 per hour for the 4 hours she spends here each day). Amazing differences in economics. And, yes, Sirrah can expect a very large American "tip" at the end of my stay that will equate to a multiple of her negotiated earnings for the month....




1 comment:

  1. WOW that looks amazing - making me hungry! Very jealous of not only your personal chef/maid but of what you are paying her!!

    ReplyDelete