Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8 - Settling In

Today, I spent the morning chatting with two faculty leaders at FC College - in charge of the Center for Teaching Excellence and the business school. Interesting conversations with both. During my conversation with the business school dean, a student suffered health problems and an ambulance had to be called - that was a bit unexpected.

Next, I visited the U.S. Consulate in Lahore for my required security briefing. I met the security team (outstanding individuals) and the Public Affairs Officer (who was wonderfully informative). They explained the risks of living and working in Lahore, but also reinforced that the people of this city are wonderful (which I have found to be the case) and that the city has much to offer. On Saturday, I am going to visit the Old City and the Wagah Border Crossing to India. Wagah is the only "roadway" border crossing of the two nations and every day at sunset there is a changing of the guard ceremony that is supposed to be outstanding and beautiful. A good friend living in Karachi will be traveling up to see me and spend the day.

This afternoon, I spent the day talking about university finance with the CFO at FC College. Most people glaze over at this topic, but we both find it extremely interesting. Since the institution has both an "intermediate" college (akin to the last two years of high school in the United States and required to matriculate to a university) as well as a traditional 4-year baccalaureate program, the financial issues are varied and complicated. When we compared this year's budget to next year's budget, I asked why there was a projected increase of 18% - I wondered what they were adding to the budget next year. The response alarmed me - nothing was added to the budget at all. Rather, the 18% increase simply accounts for the rate of inflation in Pakistan. And to think we as American's complain about a 2-3% inflation rate....

Perhaps the most curious aspect of my day was when I was walking across campus. Two young men ran up to me and asked, "Sir, are you a member of the American Army?" I found this a bit off, which must have shown on my face. They explained that my short hair and manner of walking (with a purpose, like most Americans) indicated a "military manner." I told them that I was not a member of the U.S. military, but was just here visiting on a Fulbright grant. I think they were a bit disappointed because it seemed like they really wanted to chat about our military.

Certainly an interesting day of learning....

No comments:

Post a Comment